Skip to main content

The Mayhem of A Hookup Culture



A topic that circles back and forth these days. It’s safe to say that we have deviated further from the norm that used to be monogamy, chivalry & commitment. In a society where men & women are so easily and readily available for casual sex, it’s almost impossible to find the “Real Deal”.  Most importantly, why commit right?! As the saying goes, if you get the milk for free, why buy the cow?! Before we go any further with this post, this is not me saying withhold having sex. In fact, it’s the complete opposite but in this day and age know what to expect (or rather what not to expect) so you save yourself and others from the troubles and destruction.

We’ve already established that we’re a broken generation and we often try and mend that brokenness by either drinking, partying or hooking up with multiple people. (Although it is far from the solution, it’s the truth) For whatever reason, be it family issues, past relationship trauma, attachment issues, abandonment issues, commitment phobia or simply the excitement for variety, the majority do not want exclusivity. But the upside to this is people being able to be clear with their intentions about just wanting a hookup because we’re far beyond the point of being judgmental. Shit hits the ceiling when the other person cannot accept this truth due to the “I can change them” mindset.

Not here to talk about why people have casual sex but to give a few pointers (especially to women) about what you’re signing up for. I have had guys who wanted to genuinely date me & guys who have been very clear that they just wanna hook up with me & given me the option to take it or leave it. And yes, chemistry is a very important aspect in a relationship and if you want to make it work long term you have got to know what you’re getting yourself into. BUT, don’t expect to turn a fuck-buddy into a boyfriend unless he clearly communicates he wants more.

I have seen so many posts about how women speak on “consent”. The bitter truth is it goes both ways.

-          If you’re seeing a guy whom you hook up with time and time again and it’s not going beyond that point “don’t assume” he is now magically your boyfriend.

-          If he has clearly communicated that he is not looking for anything serious and you want more then walk out instead of sticking around to see if you can change him.

-          If he’s sleeping with 9 other women whilst still sleeping with you know that he has every right to. (And so do you if that’s your thing) There is no guilt there whatsoever.

-          He has no obligation (neither do you) to keep in touch regularly or at all if it was nothing but a hook up. (It’s common courtesy if he does but you’re not entitled to it)

-          He can consider you a fling and still treat you like a princess when you two are together. That is just so he was brought up to treat women with respect and wanting casual “consensual” sex from a woman doesn’t make him any less disrespectful. And doesn’t give you the right to assume he wants more.

-          If you get knocked up and you feel the need to “take care of the situation” without him knowing you have every right to do so.

-          If on the other hand you want him to know then you have the right to tell him too but as long as you agreed to sex without contraception you have no right to demand anything of him. (A decent human would still offer to be there with whatever decision)

-          Lastly, if you’re unclear of his intentions and want more clarity on the relationship status then ALWAYS HAVE THE CONVERSATION. If you don’t like what you hear, move on.

When we see a guy we’re attracted to and know the attraction is mutual it’s easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment. We’d get carried away and curious to know what’s next. What we often don’t understand is, men are very here & now people. They can genuinely be interested in you one minute and feel completely different the next because they’re also very attentive and observant more than we think. When they know they know if you’re the one or not. It doesn’t make them bad humans. It just makes them men. Just like us women are wired to want to settle down, have kids and live our “happily ever after”. The X & Y chromosomes that set us apart. This is also why I believe gender equality is bullshit. There are things men do better and there are things women do better. Be proud of it and embrace it and whatever they do better, sit back and enjoy the benefits ladies.

The real trouble is when we pretend to be ok with whatever they do because we hold on to that single thread of hope that he will eventually come around when he has been very clear with his intentions, wants and needs from the start. By the time we realize it’s never going to happen we lose ourselves in a delusion. Start hating on the entire male species and make up our versions of the story.

I believe in love. Real, old school love and also believe there are enough men out there who are looking for exactly the same. But I can’t keep offering it to a guy who isn’t ready and then get mad at him when he rejects it. If you want more, go look for more. But stop this slut shaming, gender bashing and mass destruction ladies. It’s not empowering. What it is, is UGLY. And it’s a disgrace to quality women all over the world.

Bonus tip: Amal Clooney didn’t turn Hollywood’s most eligible bachelor into a husband and a father by crying for attention and slut shaming men. She did it with brains. Use it. It’s free.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be ruthless in your actions; be kind in your tone

Actions tell us why words don't mean a thing. So here's me writing why it's so important to communicate your messages through actions whilst maintaining the calm in your tone. It took me years to realize that people being ruthless in their tone is a result of them being angry at themselves. I have personally said some pretty nasty things to people who's actions tremendously affected me only to find out that I was only angry because I cared so deeply about them & that their slightest actions had such a big impact on me. This often ends up making us look immature & someone with a lot of negative energy. Sounding angry almost never covers our sole purpose of being angry, which is to convey our feelings to another person. I have often noticed that people barely pay attention when you're angry although the purpose was to grab their attention in the first place. This is why it's important to "DO" & "NOT SAY". Think of it like

You're Not For Everyone!

Hello lovely readers!! Been a while since I wrote anything. Well, I'm starting to see a pattern in my opening lines actually because . . . I've come to the realization that I do not write as often as I would like to. But 'ey, QUALITY over QUANTITY aye?! Yes, quality. Definitely!! When it comes to basically everything in life from food to clothes to cosmetics we often look for quality. Ironically, when it comes to the most important aspect we tend to completely overlook this. RELATIONSHIPS and the people we associate ourselves with.   We will befriend just about anyone in this day and age. Is it due to common courtesy, need for attention, out of loneliness, inability to set boundaries or the lack of self-worth on our part?! Well, I am still looking for the answer too. But here's the thing, it's not the answer that matters but the question itself. How many relationships, romantic or platonic, do we need in our lives?! Its a matter or quality over quantity. Why is it s

The version of me you created in your head is not my responsibility

  In my thirty years of existence the amount of times I’ve battled the feeling of “never being good enough” is countless and honestly, quite sad if you ask me. As I’ve said before, I was raised in a household where openness and conservativeness were parallel. There are things that were ok to do and things that weren’t. It’s surprising that actually how some of the basic things were taboo and some things Asian parents considered taboo, I was allowed to do. Not gonna go into detail but I guess what I’m trying to say is, maybe growing up I was kinda lost in translation. I was constantly told to consider the society as part of my lifestyle before making major life decisions because somehow, for some reason their perceptions mattered. I was taught to be very cautious about my appearance because well, looks matter. I wasn’t allowed to leave my house without a pair of earrings, I wouldn’t be caught dead in flip-flops, never worn unfitting or non-matching clothes even in my teens, hair n